Monday, July 11, 2011

Lamp Fetish

It's safe to say I'm a little obsessed with lamps. Back when I lived in Chicago, Bloomingdale's on Michigan Avenue had an amazing lamp department with equally amazing sales which I took full advantage of on a regular basis. I got to know the Manager of that Department so well that she would call me letting me know when one of my favorite lamps was going on-sale. I amassed several lamps during that time and still have a couple around from way back when. Lighting is very important in any room and changing a lamp can easily change to feel of a room. 

One of my favorite lamp makers is Robert Abbey... A few of my favorites include:


I loved the oversized height of the Buster floor lamp in 
polished nickel and the oversized shade

The companion to the floor lamp
lends drama to a dining room


This is the perfect accent lamp (Robert Abbey Mini C)
for next to a chair and it comes in several great finishes
  
This lamp is part of Jonathan Adler's designs 
for Robert Abbey. I love the scale and the 
many colors it comes in
















Great accent lamp for an entryway table
I just ordered this swing arm lamp for my guest room




When I was at Dwell Magazines Dwell on Design show here in LA a couple weeks ago I ran across a really cool lamp designer, Lesley Anton who does amazing ceramic lamps - http://www.lesleyanton.com/

Here are some of her designs:

 


There are some cool online sites that allow you to design your lamp... pick your shape, pick your color, pick your base, pick your finial, pick your shade. Check out http://www.mottega.com/ and play around with the "Design Your Lamp" section of the site. They are pricey at $699 but you get exactly what you want.

Here's a couple I designed:

 



Ebay is a great source for lamps, I bought a couple very unique mid-century lamps recently for between $50-$75. With a newly painted base, some metal polish, a new 3-way socket, and new shades they look like million bucks and the nice thing about an Ebay lamp is they are more often than not very unique.


Here's my latest purchase:



So, have some fun with lamps, change it up every once in awhile. A new lamp can do wonders to change a room.

No comments:

Post a Comment