Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Color of 2011

Pantone is the worldwide arbiter of color, they describe themselves on their web site as: 


"The world-renowned authority on color and provider of color systems and leading technology for the selection and accurate communication of color across a variety of industries. The PANTONE® Name is known worldwide as the standard language for color communication from designer to manufacturer to retailer to customer."



Pantone essentially tells the world what color they are supposed to like for that year and retailers, manufacturers, and designers are supposed to follow suit. Have you ever noticed when you go into a store like Banana Republic there seems to be one color theme for a specific year and then the next year it's something completely different? You can thank Pantone for that. For 2011 Pantone has decided that the color of the year is Honeysuckle which really just means pink to me. I have nothing against pink but it's just not for me, and I think a little pink goes a long way. Now, there are many variations of pink, fuschia, salmon, coral, hot pink, soft pink, and now "Honeysuckle" pink, but pink is just not a color I gravitate toward no matter what hue. 



Here are a few fashionable rooms using pink:



A fun and energetic office by Kelly Wearstler

A Southhampton bedroom by Designer Charlotte Moss. I like this room,
because it's not overdone in pink, pink adds a refreshing accent color
with the Toile fabric and I pretty much like Toile anything.

A gorgeous pink foyer from Jonathan Adler as featured in Elle Decor

As I write this post and see these images I'm starting to change my mind about pink. In case you were wondering, last years color was turquoise.

No comments:

Post a Comment